Two-factor authentication significantly improves the security of your account, and of the network overall. The benefits are so great, we require it to be setup before your account is given full access to add podcasts.
Here’s how to set it up.
What you’ll need
- A smartphone
- A user account on this site (one of the admins should have sent you an invite email. Reach out if you don’t have this.
- Internet access
- On your phone, use the AppStore or the GooglePlay store to download a two factor authentication app. Popular choices are:
- Authy (recommended)
- Google Authenticator
- Microsoft Authenticator
- Login to this site with your username and password, by visiting https://letshearit.network/wp-admin (this can be on your phone or a computer)
- Click Users in the menu on the left.
- Click your username on the subsequent page.
- Scroll all the way down to the bottom to the Account Management section, and find the Two-Factor Options. We’ll enable two options.
- Click the Enabled checkbox next to Backup Verification Codes (Single Use). Backup codes allow you to recover your account of something happens to your two-factor authentication app.
- Click the Generate Verification Codes button. This will generate 10 random passwords. Copy and store these somewhere safe, such as:
- A password manager (1pass, LastPass, etc)
- Printing it out
- Writing it down by hand
- It’s generally NOT a good idea to save them in a regular file on your computer; treat them like your password, since anyone who has them can access your account
- Click the Enabled checkbox next to Time Based One-Time Password (TOTP).
- Click the Primary radio button next to it as well.
- On your phone, in your two-factor authentication app, add a new site/application
- It will offer to scan a QR code. If you have the LHI site open on your computer, just aim your camera at the QR code on screen. That’s the jumble of white and black boxes next to Time Based One-Time Password (TOTP).
- If you have the LHI site open on your phone, there should be an option to copy a code in your two-factor authentication app. Choose that, then copy and paste the series of numbers and letters directly below the QR code (see above) on the LHI website.
- Once you’ve scanned or copied the code, your two-factor authentication app will start displaying a series of numbers that expire every thirty seconds. Copy those numbers, and paste them in the Authentication Code field, then click Submit.
And you’re done! Wheew.
Logging in moving forward
Every time you login to the LHI website, you’ll be asked to enter your username and password as normal, and then you’ll be asked for the two-factor authentication code, the same way as the last step in setup.
Just open your two-factor authentication app, tap the LHI site name, and those enter that series of numbers.
If you have any trouble and need further assistance, please don’t hesitate to reach out.